Gray Angels Project
We love all animals. Big and small, old and young. Sadly, senior animals are often the most overlooked in shelters and the last to be considered by potential adopters. But, take a closer look and you’ll likely see an animal that is loyal, calm, trained, and just wants a warm, safe place to live. With senior animals you skip the crazy puppy and kitten stage so you can enjoy a loving companion who is happy to spend the evening with you watching a movie and sleeping late.
The Gray Angels Project is designed for senior animals in our community and we invite you to be a part of our mission to help them. The need is great and we want to do all we can to make sure they live out their golden years in a loving home.
A “senior” is typically an animal that is 7 years old or older. In some cases, they come to us when the owner has passed away and the family cannot keep the animal. They also come to us through our municipal county shelter partners where they are at great risk of euthanasia.
Why Adopt a Senior Animal?
There are a number of advantages to adopting a senior animal.
- Many are already house trained.
- With age comes wisdom. You aren’t likely to lose your favorite shoes because of chewing.
- As seniors, their personalities are established so there is no guess work and they tend to be easy going.
- All animals need some degree of exercise, but a senior animal requires much less than their younger counterparts and can be quite content with a short leisurely walk.
- A senior pet can keep you healthy by reducing stress, lowering blood pressure and increasing your own social interactions. Studies also show that pets, especially older more settled animals, have a positive effect on symptoms of depression and feelings of loneliness.
Do senior animals come with special needs? Sometimes they do but not always. Before any of our seniors are adopted we address and treat the things that are common in older animals like dental disease.
Donate in Support of Gray Angels
If you would like to be a part of this rewarding and truly life saving project, you can earmark your donation specifically for Gray Angels. Click the button below to view our many ways to donate.
Thank You To Our Partners Who Support Our Work
We rely on generous sponsors to help us continue our mission to save animals.